Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Sleepless Nights


We have had a little problem with Brooks for a while now, and that is that he does NOT want to sleep in his own bed. Our rule is - NO KIDS IN OUR BED! - and this has not been difficult to enforce until the past 6 months or so with Brooks. He gets up 2-4 times per night and squeezes his way into our bed. We then promptly take him back to his own bed and hurry to sleep before he visits again. By 6am we give up and let him stay since it's about time to start the day anyway.

Around Christmas I started having trouble sleeping and getting comfortable at night due to the pregnancy, so Brooks is not helping matters at all! Our queen size bed was getting a little uncomfortalbe with me, my belly, my body pillow, Jay...and by 6am, Brooks. So, a couple of weeks ago Jay and I splurged and purchased the king size bed that we have wanted to for so long! We have been sleeping great (when it's just the two of us)! However, as you can see in the picture, a larger bed has not really changed things too much with Brooks. This morning I got up and got Elle ready for school and when I came back to check on the boys this is what I found! They might as well be in a twin bed. King or Queen...Brooks just wants to cuddle and be as close as possible! This may sound cute and sweet, but with another child on the way we are quite concerned about our sleeping arrangements!

Any suggestions on helping us break this pattern in the next 4 weeks are welcome!



post signature

4 comments:

Erin said...

Mego - that sucks but the pic is so cute. Have you ever been to Ask Moxie? The comment sections can be helpful too...

http://www.askmoxie.org/2009/01/qa-his-own-bed.html

Looking forward to seeing Bloomer #3..

Erin

CONTI Jewelers said...

Hi Meg!

Picture is adorable, but I'm sure the situation is frustrating.

I know I don't have kids, but I read once a way to break this habit. Make a comfy little setup (blankets, pillows, etc.) on the floor next to the bed. Then tell the child they can sleep in your room, but in the setup you made for them - not your bed. Eventually, they realize their bed is far more comfortable and give up trying as you keep insisting they sleep next to the bed.

I used to do the same thing when I was his age. My parents used the method above and after one night on the floor, I just gave up.

Meg said...

Thanks girls! I'll keep you posted.

Anonymous said...

Poor buddy's just trying to get his last snuggles in with mommy and daddy before the baby gets here!

What Adrianne said sounds like a great idea... good luck on that! My kids are still in and out, so I think I'll even try that method and see how it works! ....now if only I could get Allie Reese to stop waking up during the nite and screamin' "Mama!...Mama!...Mama!" mongst all the tears!?!

But on the bright side, you've got a KING SIZE BED!!! How awesome! That's what we've wished for for a while, too! We've just run out of room in our room! maybe one day....

Good luck with the zzzzz's! I'll be praying for ya!
Keep us posted!